Heidi Alder joins the law firm of Lear & Lear from the Utah State Office of Education (USOE), where she worked with local education agencies providing guidance on education-related legal issues such as FERPA, appropriate use of social media for teachers, First Amendment rights for teachers and students, due process rights for teachers and students, and professional misconduct of educators, to name a few. Heidi has a Level 3 Teaching License and began her career as a junior high history teacher in Davis School District. She then attended BYU Law School, where she graduated magnum cum laude in 2005, and joined the law firm of Snow, Christensen, & Martineau focusing on employment law, construction law, and general insurance defense. Desiring to return to the public education arena, Heidi took a 1 year internship as a research attorney with the Office of General Counsel at the University of Utah and then returned to the classroom to teach 7 -12 grade English and social studies at a private residential treatment center. During this time, she also contracted with USOE as a hearing officer for educator misconduct conduct. It was through this work that she later joined the USOE as an education specialist in the Law and Legislation Section. Heidi is thrilled to be combining her experience in law and education, both public and private, to now offer legal services to the public education community in a variety of areas.
Heidi is a member of the Education Law Section of the Utah State Bar, the National Council of State Education Attorneys (NCOSEA), and the National Association of State Department of Teacher Education Credentials (NASDTEC).
Erin Preston (801) email@example.com
Erin’s areas of emphasis include employment law, federal and state statutory and regulatory compliance, real estate negotiation and transactions, legal and finance issues related to school construction and construction compliance, school policy creation and compliance, and legislative analysis and lobbying.
- JURIS DOCTORATE, APRIL 1996; J. REUBEN CLARK LAW SCHOOL, PROVO, UTAH
- Student Body Vice-President 1995-1996
- Student Paper of the Year 1995: Miscegenation and the 14th Amendment
- Distinguished Service Award 1996
- BACHELOR OF ARTS, POLITICAL SCIENCE, 1992; BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIVERSITY, PROVO, UTAH
- Utah Bar Association - 1996 to current
- Utah Supreme Court
- Superintendent, Providence Hall Charter School (Jan. 2011- Aug. 2014)
- Providence Hall named Utah Charter School of the Year - UAPCS 2012
- Personally nominated for Utah Administrator of the Year - UAPCS 2013
- School Construction Specialist – Independent Consultant (2007-2014)
- Oversaw finance, design, new construction or re-model of 11 public schools
- Oversaw successful public bond financing of 3 Utah charter schools
- Regional Manager – Northwest Territory, Lexis-Nexis (2000-2006)
- Enforcement Attorney – U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission (1996-1999)
- Legislative Chair – Utah Association of Public Charter Schools (2013-2014)
Erin is a member of the Education Law Section of the Utah State Bar, and the Alliance of Public Charter Attorneys (APCSA)